What is Ethora platform❓
Ethora is your ultimate web3 'super app' engine.
It is low-code and highly customisable which means you can launch your own branded app into appstore in no time.
Thinking of building a new app? There is a great chance this platform will save you a lot of money and development efforts.
Moreover, it comes packed with web3 features that might play a pivotal role in growing your business or your community.
- 👨💻 Github repo - developers can head straight here
- 🤙 Contact us - for a live demo, free consultation regarding web3 in your project and to learn more about commercial customization and integration options
Otherwise, read further to learn more! Please note, however, that our engine is in active development, so some interface screenshots and feature descriptions may relate to older versions.
In a nutshell (FAQ) 🥜
Q: What kind of platform or product is this?
A: Ethora is a B2B2C product meaning it's built by us for you (B2B) so you can provide your end users (B2C) with their own App and a web3 powered ecosystem.
Q: What is the technical stack?
A: Ethora engine is built using React Native for iOS & Android (mobile version) as well as React.js (web / desktop version). Additionally, we use our server-side platform infrastructure which includes EVM (Ethereum) compatible L2 chain, API layer and messaging infrastructure for chat and push notifications.
Q: What are the typical use cases?
A: This is a tough question - Ethora is being used across different verticals. Some random examples are:
- Art & Creators - connect artists and creators with their followers via chat spaces where artists can mint NFTs and distribute or sell directly to the users
- Healthcare - health documents wallet (share IPFS hosted documents via QR codes, track documents and certificates provenance via immutable ledger, chat with providers)
- Retail / Supply chain - loyalty programs; tracking the origin of good via QR codes; digital signatures via personal crypto pairs
- NGO, charity and DAO governance - have users propose and vote on decisions via DAO and governance token mechanism, directly within app's chat spaces; raise funds directly via app via NFT or tokens
- Celebrities and Sports - fans connect (24/7 365 days second screen app); digital collectibles via NFTs; "fantasy sports"
- Brand engagement and social commerce - allow your users to engage with the brand, earn digital badges and discount codes, get users to vote on certain initiatives, carry out p2p social commerce etc
There is a great chance you will find our own magic formula of implementing web3 mechanics for your community.
We love preaching web3 so please do feel free to schedule a call so we can brainstorm together how this could work in your case.
Q: What are the main features?
A: See below. Enjoy and let us know if there is anything else you'd like added!
Video demos ▶️
Video demo: general demo (chat, reward etc)
Video demo: create NFT collection & buy NFT via chat bots
Video demo: exporting NFT to mainnet
Video demo: sending NFT items between users
(enable subtitles to see explanations):
Core features 💡
- iOS, Android & Web
- Social sign-in & Crypto wallets (L2 and Mainnet supported)
- Coins (ERC-20)
- NFT Items (ERC-721 / ERC-1155)
- Peer rewards (a.k.a. "crypto likes" - sending Coins and NFT tips to messages)
- Immutable decentralized transactions ledger (powered by Ethereum blockchain)
- Crowd-sourced rooms and spaces, p2p QR-code / public key - based invites system
- Chat / Messaging & Social profiles
- Bots and smart contracts extensions
- Push notifications
Your community can create NFTs, send Coins, chat & voice message each other. Sign in with social or Metamask, get your wallet & QR code, upload Documents onto IPFS and sign them cryptographically etc.
It's like your own web3 social network, where everything isn't centred around crypto assets and buzzwords, but rather around people, their social profiles and conversations.
We believe this a more organic and social, human friendly way to explore web3 and build communities together.
Use our platform to create your own text-based metaverse, 2nd screen app or simply a gamified community and social economy around your topic of interest.
Many projects come to use Ethora engine so they can deliver their MVP quickly (within weeks). Most often they stay and keep using it, focusing on more important things they build for their community, such as their unique branding, token economy, smart contracts and integrations with vertical-specific systems, bridging the real world with the benefits of web3.
We have built this engine so you can focus on your core business and growing your community. You don't have to spend months/years on building the foundation tech anymore. Features such as tokenization, messaging & push notifications, API and web3 infrastructure come packed as part of the engine. You can easily enable or disable the features and mechanics depending on your current needs.
Scroll further below for the full Features list.
Standing with Ukraine 🇺🇦
Ethora team is standing in solidarity with the brave people of Ukraine who are suffering an unprovoked attack by one of the world's largest armies these days.
We help Ukrainian artists to raise funds via NFTs using our platform. Reach out via our parent website Dappros or any of our social channels if you'd like to participate in this initiative: https://www.dappros.com/contact-us/
May the freedom, global stability and peace prevail.
Developers section (Source code etc) 👨💻
Github repo: https://github.com/dappros/ethora/
Release notes: https://github.com/dappros/ethora/blob/main/release-notes.md
- Source code structure - description of our React Native codebase structure and components
- Step-By-Step build guide - (doc + video guide) go ahead and build yourself a new tokenized community app in under 1 hour!
- Branding guidelines - use our default branding guidelines or make your own based on our document
- QA checklist - a list of essential visual and functional checks to carry out to ensure a good quality Ethora-engine based application delivery
- ACL (access levels) - access rights and privileges for users / entities explained
- API - links to API reference and optimization notes
- Coding guidelines - instructions and notes for Ethora core engine developers and community contributors
- Bots Framework - rules and best practices on building your own Bots
Open-source & Commercial license options 📝
There are two licensing options available for Ethora engine depending on your requirements:
A) Default - AGPL open-source option.
By default, Ethora engine codebase is distributed under AGPL open-source license. You can start with this option straight away by simply downloading / forking the code from our Github repository, rebranding, building your application and distributing it commercially. You don't need to ask for our permission to do so as long as you comply with the AGPL license terms. AGPL license means that you should keep your source code open when you build something based off Ethora engine. This is totally acceptable for most of the community-driven projects who benefit from the transparency, and for many startups who practice the "open development" culture. Many software products such as Linux OS, MySQL database etc have been developed this way. This way of distribution ensures that all contributions to the code remain open for the benefit of the whole ecosystem, at the same time it doesn't create any obstructions for commercial usage beyond the standard AGPL "copyleft" license requirements.
Price: FREE, but you need to keep your source code open.
B) Commercial license option
Businesses may prefer to obtain a commercial license of Ethora engine which allows them to obtain a business-friendly closed-sourced copy of the latest stable version of the engine. This option is suitable for those businesses and startups who need their code and derivatives to be close-sourced due to security and/or commercial considerations. Optional security, encryption, hosting and SLA packages add-ons are available along with this option.
Commercial license copy of the Ethora engine can be obtained via our distribution and implementation partners - software houses and IT consultancies that are certified by us to distribute the commercial/enterprise version of the Ethora engine and to carry out customizations and technical support professionally.
Price: $20k one-off, can be obtained through us or one of our Partners.
Note: we encourage you to work with a local Partner if possible - the pricing is the same, but you will benefit from a local technical support and added value of the Partner services. Our core development team is always available through Partners to address any of questions in relation to core engine modifications.
Visit our Launchpad section to check out some of the new projects built with the help of Ethora engine.
Upd 28th December 2022: there is a number of new exciting projects built using Ethora engine in Q2/Q3 2022. We will update this section soon with a reference to those project that are happy to be announced in public.
Project goals 🎯
This project aims to promote web3, decentralized economy and technology by offering a web3 app platform that can be easily used by any business, startup or community.
Project authors build upon their expertise in the domains of mobile app development (iOS & Android), real-time communication (Erlang, ejabberd, XMPP) and blockchain (Ethereum, Solidity, NFT).
We believe the combination of these technologies offers the key missing gateway for average users into the decentralized economies of the future.
Using Ethora codebase you can easily create and publish your own iOS, Android or Web app for your community; equip your members with crypto wallets; and get a crowd-sourced community growth going, supported by your own token economy through ERC-20 and NFT digital assets.
Real-time communication features (chat rooms, messaging, push notifications) help to keep your community sticky, engaged and viral.
You can track your community metrics (user registrations, app usage, token transfers, messages) using Google Firebase or built in analytics provided by Dappros Platform (backend infrastructure behind Ethora).
|React Native (iOS & Android)||iOS and Android platforms are fully supported from the single React Native codebase|
|Config file||Config file allows to adjust important parameters and simplifies rebranding so that Ethora engine can be customized to a specific project|
|Dev / Prod||Switch between Development and Production infrastructures for development, testing and running live purposes|
|Social sign-in (Google)||Imports name, photo and e-mail from Google|
|Social sign-in (Facebook)||Imports name, photo and e-mail from Facebook|
|Social sign-in (Apple)||Imports e-mail from Apple|
|Login + Password||(optional) Your own authentication system via Dappros Platform backend|
|3rd party authentication||(optional) Your own authentication system via 3rd party|
|E-mail verification||(optional) Send a verification link if you need users e-mails confirmed, for example to unlock features / content to specific @domain name user or to verify membership in your community via a 3rd party API integration|
|Secondary e-mails||(if enabled) Users may specify and verify additional e-mails|
|Phone verification (OTP)||(optional) Verify users phone number via Firebase or Twilio integration|
|User Profiles & Wallets|
|Crypto wallet / ID||Each user is automatically provided with a cryptographic keypair based on Ethereum technology that allows users to hold digital assets and sign transactions cryptographically.|
|Profile First + Last name||Names imported from social login if applicable|
|Profile photo||Photo imported from social login if applicable|
|Profile bio||Optional - Users can specify brief information about themselves|
|Profile business details||Optional - Users can specify their business details (company, phone, website)|
|Balances (blockchain)||Balance is shown in nav bar and in users profile|
|Transactions (blockchain)||Transactions for Coins and Items are done via blockchain (distributed immutable ledger)|
|Public display for tokens balances and transactions||(by default) Users can see balances and transactions on other users' profiles|
|Items/NFT provenance||Users can check the history of Items, NFTs, certificates and assets held by other users (when issued, by whom, history of transactions etc)|
|Items/NFT interactions||(if enabled) other users can purchase, exchange or bid for Items/NFTs through owner user's profile|
|Profile share via QR||Users can share their wallet address and profile details via a QR code|
|Profile share via link||Users can share their wallet address and profile details via a hyperlink|
|Coin||App/Ecosystem has a default ERC-20 token called Coin. It is shown in nav bar, user profile and used for most interactions by default.|
|ERC-20 tokens and ETH||Other ERC-20 tokens and ETH can also be used|
|Social Likes||Users can spend and receive Coins and Items for their chat messages and content|
|In-chat transactions||Users can transfer Coins and Items to each other within chat Rooms / Spaces and also send/receive tokens from Rooms and Bots|
|Explorer||Transactions and Tokens provenance seen in users profiles, web explorer and b/c nodes transactions|
|Items (NFT)||Items (ERC-721 tokens) are unique or limited edition assets transferrable in chats and displayed on users profiles. Metadata and multimedia hosted on IPFS.|
|Mint NFTs||(if enabled) Users can mint their own NFTs directly from the App. This can be limited to business-specific scenarios (for example, upload your academic or health certificate, upload a photograph of a shipped item etc)|
|NFT P2P purchases||(if enabled) Users can purchase Items directly from other Users' profiles (Buy now & Bid)|
|Item provenance||Item (NFT) display their mint and transactions history in Users profiles|
|Lobby screen & Default chats||Lobby screen shows which Rooms/Spaces and Private chats user has joined, number of users and a latest message in each room|
|Chat Rooms / Spaces||Users can chat in group chats, also send and receive Coins and Items within rooms|
|Private chats||Users / crypto wallets can message each other individually|
|Manage chats||Users can rearrange chats via Lobby screen controls|
|Profile menu||Tap on User's profiile to send Coins/Items, start a Private chat, Ban/Report etc|
|Default Rooms / Spaces||Specify "pinned" or Default Rooms that all of your App / Ecosystem users will auto-join|
|Premium / Members-only rooms||(If enabled) certain Rooms/Spaces may be limited to a member status confirmed via a 3rd party integration|
|Ban users||Room/Space owners and admins can ban other users|
|Now typing||Users see when other users are typing|
|Photos/avatars/initials||Users represented by photos / avatars if uploaded, otherwise initials avatar in the messaging interactions|
|File attachments||Photos, Videos, other file types attachments supported. Previews supported for Photos and Videos.|
|Voice & Video messages||Long tap to record and send a message|
|Social Likes||Users can receive Coins and Items towards messages and content they post|
|Create Rooms / Spaces||Users can create their own chat Rooms / Spaces, modify their settings and rules, invite other users|
|Share room via QR||User can share and join Rooms / Spaces via QR codes. For example, invite users via TV or print, Zoom call etc|
|Share room via link||Text link sharing allows to link directly to Rooms / Spaces within and outside the app. Users join by tapping the link.|
|Chat Bots||Bots allow to connect custom business logic and smart contracts via conversational interface. Some bots are available out of the box.|
|Room/Space wallets||Users can transact Coins and Items with Room/Spaces or their smart contracts|
|Push Notifications (transactional)||When not online, users receive push notification alerts from Rooms/Spaces, Direct Messages, Coins or Items transfers|
|Manage Rooms / Spaces||User can move, rename, leave Rooms / Spaces to organize their Lobby screen|
|Users engagement & P2P Economy|
|On-boarding screens||(Optional, disabled by default), Educational screens for your Users upon first time they open the App|
|Join bonus||(If enabled), Users receive 100 Coins when they join your Application / Ecosystem. This enables new Users to participate in your Ecosystem and p2p rewards.|
|P2P rewards||Users can receive "crypto likes" Coins and Items in response to messages, thus enabling p2p rewards within your Ecosystem.|
|Daily bonus||(If enabled), Users will receive 5 coins every 24h they use the Application|
|Activity rewards||(work in progress) - Ecosystem rewards users for activity that is useful to the community|
|Push notifications (broadcasted)||Send informational messages to your Users|
|Premium / Members-only Spaces||Some Rooms/Spaces and features may be conditional upon User's status or activity. 3rd party membership confirmations are supported via e-mail domain verification, CRM integration etc.|
|Analytics dashboard||Web-based analytics UI providing you with your App & Ecosystem metrics such as Users, Sessions, Transactions, Coins & Items, Messages, Push Notifications, Attachments etc.|
|Firebase integration||Monitor app usage, demography, location, re-actiivation via Google Firebase dashboards|
|Explorer||Web explorer is available in Dappros Platform dashboard|
|Validation node||Add your own node to the network to access blockchain data directly|
|Access Control List||Manage Access at Owner, Application and User level for different actions and resources (see ACL page for details).|
|API||Our RESTful JSON API for cases where you need to go beyond functionalities and flows currently implemented in the engine|
|API documentation||Full API documentation of Ethora's backend via Dappros Platform. This provides access to Application/API/Web3/caching (DP Core) + Messaging (XMPP Ejabberd, Push Notifications) + Ethereum Blockchain (geth): https://www.dappros.com/developers/|
|Swagger||Interactive web interface to query our API: https://app-dev.dappros.com/api-docs/|
|Short URL Room/Space linking||Link to Rooms/Spaces within your App via short URL from other applications and websites (see also QR code sharing).|
|Bots||Automated agents with their own Profiles and Wallets. May be interfacing dApps / smart contracts or external integration such as e-commerce, information retrieval etc. Some ready bots can be enabled out of the box, e.g. Notary Bot will sync your messages into immutable ledger, Booking Bot will set up an appointment with its owner User etc, Hut Hut Bot demonstrates interaction with storing and retrieving digital assets, Questionnaire Bot demonstrates collecting information from the user via conversational interface.
Bots allow to integrate any functionality not covered by Ethora engine.
Our platform provides technology for ecosystems built on the principles of openness, transparency and decentralization.
By design, certain information such as user profiles, rankings, and the transactions of digital assets will be visible to the whole ecosystem or to the public.
You should not use the standard version of this product for storing or sending secure or commercially sensitive content. You should not use any versions of this product for emergency communications. You should not share information or content through our platform in cases where you may not be comfortable or authorized to share it with the public.
Note: enterprise-friendly version of Ethora engine (commercial license, additional security layers, custom user sign-on mechanisms, Professional Services & SLA package), dedicated hosting and members-only blockchain are available under our Commercial package.
Developers and Funders of the project 🤝
Ethora mobile app codebase, Dappros Platform backend (Ethereum-based infrastructure, core application, wallets handling, caching, Web3, IPFS storage and API layer) are developed and supported by Dappros.
Real-time communication infrastructure (Ejabberd chat server and custom application logic, Push Notifications, statistics and monitoring) are developed by DeepX.
The project is currently (2018-2023) developed and funded solely by these two privately owned companies.
It is our aim however to transition project governance to an open-source foundation / DAO as soon as the activity from the developers community becomes significant to justify such transition. In such case the existing entities will focus on commercial services and enterprise version of the engine, while the project core development will be governed by a foundation / DAO under the principles of open source software.
Commercial & licensing model 🛒
Our approach to licensing is similar to a 'Red Hat model' where we offer most of the product open-source so that a wide global community can benefit from it and contribute to its further development, but we also offer commercial licensing and technical support options for businesses and enterprises to help fund further development of the product.
In terms of license and code availability the product can be broken down as follows:
- Client-side (mobile app): (A): free, open-source under GPL license; (B) Paid-for commercial license with security add-on and SLA package.
- Server-side: freemium (free cloud plan fits most startups and non-commercial organizations, paid SLA and dedicated hosting plans available for businesses that require them).
Future plans & roadmap 📅
DAO governance vision
Currently (2022) Dappros is a privately owned company that offers an open-source mobile app, open-source private blockchain and closed-source backend. Our founders promote decentralized economy and free p2p communication technologies for many years. We are developing a roadmap where the platform will become fully open and its governance can be transferred to a decentralized organization. In such scenario, we will remain a private organisation offering implementation and SLA services, but the development of the new versions of the platform engine and maintenance of the publicly available infrastructure will become globally distributed and decentralized. Our only limiting factor here is funding and time constraints.
- A platform allowing businesses and creators to easily set up and for users to join and explore a tokenized p2p ecosystem ✅
- Partially centralized ✅
- Assets and transactions ledger are decentralized ✅
- Leveraging state of the art DLT, mobile and communication technologies ✅
- Mobile-first ("no ads, no gimmicks") ✅
- Open-source client ✅
- Self-Sovereign Identity - users own their identity, content and assets ✅
- Privacy & Sharing improvements - users control who sees their profiles or individual assets ✅
- Data Ownership - user can delete account and/or export their data ✅
- Documents - special type of smart contract (Ethora asset) that allows to upload, share and track provenance of business documents ✅
- NFMT type of contract implemented and support added (special NFT designed for artists and charities) ✅
- Metamask sign-in option ✅
- Assets can be exported to L1 wallets ✅
- "Meta mode" - text-based metaverse for chat rooms ✅
- Bots suite - web3 chat bots allowing users to create and mint NFTs, purchase NFTs, export to Mainnet, distribute NFTs via raffle, prove chat history etc via a conversational interface ✅
- Beta (testnet) launch of Coins & NFT purchase features - allowing Users to purchase NFTs with in-app purchase - Android ✅
- Beta (testnet) launch of Coins & NFT purchase features - allowing Users to purchase NFTs with in-app purchase - iOS 👷🛠️
- Support Program for Creators and Charities 👷🛠️
- Design and UX improvements 👷🛠️
- Performance and caching improvements 👷🛠️
- Full launch of Coins & NFT economy 👷🛠️
- Extend support for blockchain networks / infrastructures beyond Ethereum (evaluating suitable projects and networks currently) 👷🛠️
- Improved cryptography and encryption options 👷🛠️
- Improvements to "Meta" mode 👷🛠️
- Platform economy upgrades 👷🛠️
- Improvements to Bots Suite and launch of Bots Market allowing 3rd party developers to promote their own web3 bots compatible with Ethora engine 👷🛠️
- Training and certification programs for Partners 👷🛠️
- Open-source server - anybody can download and run a Validator or Host node (closed-source enterprise version possible for private chain projects)
- Validator / Hoster incentives - self-supporting network
- Decentralized maintenance allowing both (a) incentivized hosting of the public infrastructure and (b) private networks. À la Ethereum;
- R&D grants available for teams and individual developers contributors globally
- Decentralized governance - platform stakeholders make important decisions for the public network
- Meritocracy - governance stakes are earned through supporting platform infrastructure (running nodes), R&D work and platform promotion
Drop us a line if you’re interested to find out more or to become a contributor to the project.